jason was only two when his mother had made the decision to put him up for adoption. Her dreams were finally coming true, and while she loved her baby, he was never penciled into her plans for the future and she was ready to live the life she wanted to live. She hated considering him an accident, or a mistake, but that's what he was to her, and he was a reminder of how quickly a life can change due to carelessness. Despite her well-intended plans to put him up for adoption and find a loving home for him, her former husband and jason's biological father fought for custodial rights over his son. This may as well have been the beginning to the end for him.
when jason was six years old, his drug dealer of a father got the whole family in hot water when the people he owed came to the house and threatened to kill willis for not following through on his promises and sampling the goods too often. little did they know that willis was giving jason's step-mother a fair big of drugs to keep her sated, which would inevitably lead to her fatal overdose the following year. after that, willis got himself booked and tossed into jail and jason was put into child protective services from there on out.
Even early on in his life, jason had a tough time seeing eye to eye with many of his elders and peers. This, of course, made him a difficult candidate for many foster homes or adoption possibilities. In fact, he never was adopted, but went from home to home until he was old enough to make it on his own. More often than not, jason found himself in trouble with one person or another. Early on, he was often in trouble with the families he was temporarily placed with. Mostly because he very rarely saw eye to eye with them and refused to connect with them emotionally. Later on in his adolescent years, he began finding himself on the wrong side of the law, which earned him a hefty record and time in juvie before he was 19.
although he was never lucky enough to find a forever home with any of the families that had fostered him, jason did come close once. when he was in his mid-teens, jay had found himself in the good graces of a family that seemed like they wanted to keep him around. he got along well with everyone and for the first time, he felt like he belonged somewhere and had a chance at having a real life. so naturally after several months of what he considered actual happiness and contentment, he went and sabotaged it long before anyone else could. his rebellious nature always reared its head at the ugliest of times, so when he felt the most at ease with his life and the direction it was finally taking, he packed his bags and hit the road.
jason made himself hard to catch up with. if anyone stopped by the school looking for him, he ducked out of class and spent the rest of the day in an area many people didn't know to look for. if they thought they knew whose house he would crash at that night, he switched it up and made himself unpredictable. if he had no friends at school, this would have been impossible to do. There came a point when he realized the system would do nothing for him and that he was no longer in need of their help. at first he considered going back, but his mind was made up. if no one wanted him, then that was fine; he didn't want to be wanted anymore.
As the transition is generally hard on at risk youths, jason knew once he was out of school and on the streets, he was going to have to learn to take care of himself. And he did, in the most unsavory ways he could have possibly done so. Despite never doing drugs, he did sell prescription painkillers for a short time. These were lifted out of the medicine cabinets of homes he broke into after casing them for a period of time. Thankfully for jason, this period in his life only lasted a few weeks before he smartened up and found more legal ways to make ends meet.
Fast forward to the next time his life fell apart after several years of trying to get his shit together, and one would see jason nose to nose with a police officer vehemently justifying his motives and actions just before getting tossed into a cell for the third time. this was when he realized he couldn't do it alone and needed help. one single phone call found himself face to face with his foster brother, ben, and looking at a brighter horizon than before. if it wasn't for the good graces of this family he was now crawling back to ready to atone for his past behavior, he would have surely found himself in prison or living on the streets and out of homeless shelters across boston and new york. he is, for the first time, trying to turn his life aroun and find a way to repay the family he left behind after all he wanted was to feel welcome.
Things fell apart in boston after a short period of time and a stint of more bad luck, so without much care in the world, Jason picked up his bags and moved to San Francisco. taking some very sage advice from one of his favorite movies to heart, he decided It was better to fight the system from the inside than try to take it down from the outside. his brief job as a cop was short lived when he decided it was all for nothing and the job wasn't for him, so he moved on to other things that would keep him in just enough trouble to stay interested, but out of trouble just enough to not get arrested.
🧨 advanced hand-to-hand combat
• martial arts
🧨 red hood suit
• arkham knight suit
• robin suit
• memories of the batfam
• memories of the outlaws
• last name is jason's biological mother's last name
• his mother is an aid worker oversees.
• morally ambiguous to a fault
• similar relationships with batfam
• foster brat
• parental names
• originally placed into a school for at risk youths
• jay has a lot of issues where authority is concerned and butts heads with almost anyone.
• during one of his more unsavory moments, jason lived in new york with a couple of friends that got him involved with some questionable work. for a short time, he bought and sold guns. however disreputable as this was, it did give him first hand knowledge of how many different firearms work and led to him finding a job at a gun dealer, where he worked for a short period of time before moving back into boston.
• jason nearly killed a pedestrian in a drunk driving incident around 2012. because he was drunk he begged the woman to not go to the police when they both found out that she was okay, barring minor injuries.
• when jason was 17, he had an unsuccessful suicide attempt
• his personality is very hot and cold. he is quippy and sarcastic and inappropriate at all times, but he can easily slip into a negative mood and become defeatist depending on who he's with. he tends to match moods with other people, so their mood can often determine his own. still, he has his fair share of not-so-great days because of this. he comes across as having a painful personality.
• underneath a normally cool and aloof exterior, jason has a soft, nougaty center. he is a hopeless romantic that has never maintained a healthy relationship for long for one reason or another. he's also a shameless fuckboy. his relationship with relationships is very complicated. after being abandoned by the love of his life, he vowed never to open up himself to that kind of heartache, having been hurt too many other times in the past by other people who claimed to care and love for him. he went years without feeling that kind of love toward another person. now he is cautious and often comes off as uninterested.